Thursday, September 23rd, 2021
Good day, Hume Elementary School Community.
So great to see your kids and families last week! So many smiles and positive interactions through learning activities involving a lot of play, community-building, and outdoor time. Many of the classes have made their first annual trip out to Kokanee to engage with some outdoor learning, play, and knowledge building around the extraordinary lifecycle of the Kokanee Salmon. I was able to join many of our grades 2-3 and grade 3-4 classes out at Kokanee. Such a joy to play out there and join in the experience.
The new Kindergarten students will be heading out on their adventure to Kokanee park this Thursday, September 23rd, 2021. The Kokanee Park staff always do an amazing job in engaging students across the district in this learning. Another great reminder of the beautiful place we all call home.
A BIG thank you to all of our family’s whose calendars I am sure have quite a few moving parts, as does mine, with school and other activities as we transition from summer into fall. An exciting and sometimes challenging time as the puzzle pieces get put into place!
I am going to aim to get these weekly Principal Messages out weekly, typically releasing on a Saturday. Already catching up a bit from last week. I am confident I will hit my stride.
Important dates and details for the week ahead and beyond…
- SD8 & Hume Elementary School calendar - Calendar | Hume Elementary School
- September 24th – District Professional Development Day (no school for students)
- September 27th – Hume School Orange Shirt Day Outdoor Assembly and Terry Fox Run
- September 28th – First Fire Drill for Hume School
- September 30th is now National Day for Truth & Reconciliation and school will not be in session - https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/maple-leaf/defence/2021/07/federal-statutory-holiday-national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation.html
- Watch for emails and Class Dojo posts from Classroom Teachers regarding upcoming outings, consent forms, and permission forms.
- Updated Hume Elementary Staff List - School Staff | Hume Elementary School – Please join me in welcoming all of our Teachers and Support Staff who we are very fortunate to now have at Hume.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call. The Hume School Website continues to be a great place to get more information on the school, see our calendar and receive updates on school celebrations, principal messages, and announcements. The Schoolkit Hub App is an easily installed app for phones (android or iphone) to also receive updates.
Learning opportunities for families… (links will be provided as opportunities arise).
· Key Health Measure: If your child is sick, even if it is mild, please refrain from sending them to school. We need to maintain a high standard in this as a community and support both our families and staff in staying healthy throughout the year.
Please keep your child home if they are exhibiting symptoms (congestion, runny nose, cough, sneezing…) that may lead to a high level of transmission of communicable disease. We are wanting to keep the student population and all our families as healthy as possible throughout the school year. We know how impactful it is for all of our families when students need to stay home. Let’s all work together to keep this number as low as possible. As well, we need to keep our staff healthy as we can be faced with not having “fills or substitutes”, which puts further strain on our systems.
Use the daily health check app: The K to 12 Health Check website and app is an easy way to decide if your child should attend school based on their symptoms. It includes current health guidelines and offers an age-appropriate user experience for K to 12 students.
Take care, everyone!
Principal Hume Elementary School